Theia - Cloud & Desktop IDE
Theia is an extensible platform to develop full-fledged multi-language Cloud & Desktop IDE-like products with state-of-the-art web technologies.
- Establish a platform to build IDE-like products
- Provide the end-user with a full-fledged multi-language IDE (not just a smart editor)
- Support equally the paradigm of Cloud IDE and Desktop IDE
- Provide support for multiple languages via the language and debug server protocols
Here you can find guides and examples for common scenarios:
- Develop a new Theia extension
- Develop a new Theia application for Cloud or Desktop with Theia CLI
- Run Theia IDE for Web Developers with Docker
- Package a desktop Theia application with Electron
Read below to learn how to take part in improving Theia:
- Fork the repository and run the examples from source
- Get familiar with the development workflow, Coding Guidelines, Code of Conduct and learn how to sign your work
- Find an issue to work on and submit a pull request
- First time contributing to open source? Pick a good first issue to get you familiar with GitHub contributing process.
- First time contributing to Theia? Pick a beginner friendly issue to get you familiar with codebase and our contributing process.
- Want to become a Committer? Solve an issue showing that you understand Theia objectives and architecture. Here is a good list to start.
- Could not find an issue? Look for bugs, typos, and missing features.
Read below how to engage with Theia community:
- Join the discussion on Gitter.
- Ask a question, request a new feature and file a bug with GitHub issues.
- Star the repository to show your support.
- Follow Theia on Twitter.
During the first half of 2018, the team is focusing on the following features:
A visual debugger leveraging the Debug Server Protocol defined by the VS Code team.
Theia's workbench shell will be improved, such that the user can drag and drop widgets from the side bar to the main area and vice-versa.
Theia already can search files by name (CMD + P). In early 2018 a full text search shall be developed and added.
More Git Support
In addition to the already present commit staging view, the team will add a git history and git diff view to better visualize the different states of git repositories.
The file navigator shall support decorations, which are to be used by the git and the problems view extensions. It will allow to signal on a file whether there are git changes resp. diagnostics.
Better Markdown Support
The Markdown support shall be improved to allow better preview that syncs scrolling. Also rendering plug-ins based on
markdown-itshall be supported and tools like linters and dead link checkers shall be integrated.
Robustness and Improved UX We will further work on simplifying Theia and its UI / UX, improve the performance and keep working on bug reports that are rolling in.
Any contributors might want to work on additional things. At least this happened in 2017 and is likely to increase with a growing community. :)