Togaf and Enterprise architecture interesting links 1
Today I have produced a short list of links interesting about Togaf and Entreprise architecture.
A nice quote from Angelo Andreetto, Senior Enterprise Architect for Zurich Insurance Group in Zurich, Switzerland
Digital transformation is a fantastic way to rethink Enterprise Architecture,
Communication and post review
- an interesting article explaining the limits of the Togaf methodology. here
People actually think that TOGAF must be right because it is a compendium, very large at that, of IT project good practices, because it has so many brand names behind, because of its many followers in IT, because of its many vocal backers whose interests are intertwined with TOGAF, because it has the dominant training and certification market share, because it has its own conferences.
- is Enterprise architecture completely broken ? post
This article is particularly interesting since it explains the limits of EA when this domain is understood as a basic documentation or a fixed organization.
EA fails when enterprises are treated as discrete systems that can be reduced into smaller problem sets, as traditional engineering approaches or some EA frameworks would have us believe.
- Agile, TOGAF and Enterprise Architecture: Will They Blend? article
“Is enterprise architecture still relevant when we do Agile?” and “what is the role of an enterprise architect in an Agile organization?” That the questions this article is trying to answer.
- For people that are new with the concepts of Enterprise Architecture, this Microsoft MSDN page is useful. msdn
Indeed there is a comparison of the Top Four Enterprise-Architecture methodologies. Informations there are quite old (2007) though relevant. I am particularly fond of real battlefield experiences on using such methodologies. This article is a good start.
- Developing Business Architecture with TOGAF : Business Architecture with TOGAF
These slides illustrates how to implement TOGAF by delivering some key points, in particular the metamodel.
- Togaf posters
This site offers some posters to have a better understanding of Togaf and the Enterprise Architecture Togaf posters
- Enterprise Architecture by the example :
This document is an implementation of Togaf 9 by Birmingham University. It is full of samples and good informations to exploit 🙂 Birmingham Enterprise Architecture Framework
Since everyone is loving TOP and list of informations, that site is a real treasure about Enterprise Architecture. I have collected some useful informations :
- 10 reasons to invest in EA
I am loving metrics and this article was really great : 7 Key architecture metrics – IT Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) as a Percentage of Revenue – Total Cost Savings (TCS) – Percentage Of Spend That’s Strategic (PSTS) – Common Services Compliance Rate (CSCR) – Architectural Due Diligence Rate (ADDR) – Sunset Technology (ST) – Business Specific
Finally to conclude a TOP 8 of Enterprise Architecture risks 8 Enterprise Architecture risks
If your Enterprise Architect can’t describe five cases where Enterprise Architecture has failed miserably, it is time to find a new Enterprise Architect.
- Security vulnerabilities and exposures : EA and security should work together to bring state of the art security in the whole company
- Distracting critical staff : Stakeholders often complain that Enterprise Architecture is cumbersome
- Low adoption rates : It is much easier to define a enterprise architecture than to implement the governance required to implement it.
- Increasing solution costs : Enterprise architecture programs are often guilty of over-engineering.
- Decreasing user acceptance : Users often complain that common solutions are less adapted to the needs of their business unit.
- Creating dependencies : common solutions also introduce new dependencies between business units and can create new bottlenecks.
- Project delays : it is possible for EA processes to delay projects and add excessive overhead by adding unnecessary checkpoints.
- Be careful what you measure : if EA introduces business performance metrics, metrics may also introduces risks and weird behaviours.